Cruise Day 2- November 2nd

If you are just joining, catch up here to see what I am sharing about in the coming days & weeks!
-Day 1
Day 2, Sunday, November 2nd

                We weren't sure when we woke up if the ship was observing daylight savings time or not. After a call to guest services, we were told they weren’t so we are currently an hour ahead of those on EST. We had an 8:30am get together with others on our roll call and it was 8am when we got up (thinking it was 7am). So we quickly got ready to head down. One of the gals made everyone a door sign with their username and first names, which was a complete and lovely surprise! (many people decorate the doors of their staterooms). The cruise line then holds a raffle for some prizes for the people who are on the roll call. We won 2 free in room movies (that normally cost $13 each!) and after it was over, 2 other people gave us their in room movie prizes so we have a total of 6 free movies if we get a chance to use them.

A glimpse of the rough seas.

                During our get together, the captain shared over the pa system exactly what all had transpired overnight (remember I mentioned things flying around our room at 5 am with closets and drawers flying open?) He said we had had over 20 foot waves and around 5am, we experienced a rogue wave!  Do you know how HUGE & RARE that was?
  1. "Rogue waves (also known as freak waves, monster waves, killer waves, extreme waves, and abnormal waves) are relatively large and spontaneous ocean surface waves that occur far out at sea, and are a threat even to large ships and ocean liners."
                Just to put it in perspective, check out this photo I snapped in St. Lucia of our ship. You can see from a distance the damaged lifeboat. When you see it from this far, you realize just how huge that wave was that hit us!
Click on photo to enlarge

 This wave took out 2 lifeboats, almost knocking one into the ocean. Deck 4 has a deck to sit out on which meant when this wave hit, it shattered the glass doors. They had a stairwell closed down for 2 flights as well as the whole back end of elevators so they could dry out the elevator shaft and recertify that they were safe after at least 4 tons of water came on board.
The glass was shattered from these doors when tons of water came barreling in from the rogue wave.

               I heard some of the lounges experienced damage as well when the wave hit, knocking glassware off shelves. In addition to the rough seas, we were also experiencing 50-60 mph winds. The captain stated due to the rough seas & wind, that no one was able to go outside currently.

The view of the damaged lifeboat that came crashing down onto deck 4.

               After our get together, we ate breakfast then the girls headed to the teen club and we took Erik & Olivia up to register them for their club. Normally their ages would be separated but since there was only 1 other child there, they said they'd keep them together. Kevin took Ava for a walk in her stroller while I finished unpacking.

                In the afternoon, everyone met back in the room and we decided to head up to Dizzy’s lounge (this overlooks the pool deck and provides a great view of the ocean). The kids wanted to play card games that we brought along. When we got up there, we saw all the seats were taken, so we decided to check out the lounge next door and were amazed to find not only the place deserted but filled with a bunch of toys! I had heard that there was a special place for kids 3 & under to play but didn't know where it was. What a godsend this place was!!! There was a table for the older kids to play card games, a place for the littles to play and since it was next door to Dizzy’s, the view was the same!! I was able to finally start working on my journaling of the trip since this room was enclosed, the little ones couldn't run off. I know we will be spending a lot of time here!

The girls looking out at the rough water from their play area.

             I had just got done saying to the kids & Kevin that this is almost perfect when I looked outside and my jaw dropped. Right off to the side of the ship was the biggest, brightest rainbow I had ever seen!!!! It literally appeared out of nowhere. Tears just poured down my face as I KNEW it had to be a sign from Noah! This is our 4th cruise and I have never seen a rainbow over the ocean like that!! In fact, a double one started forming as well! This rainbow lasted a good 30 minutes, I was just in awe. Unlike its instant appearance, it ever so slowly started to fade away. If we had sat at Dizzy’s like we had planned, we never would've seen the rainbow but because this lounge was off to the left, it sat straight in front of our view. I am sure not many people saw the rainbow due to its location. There are just no words to describe how beautiful the sight was!!

This is an unfiltered, unedited photo. The rainbow truly was this bright!

              After letting the little ones burn off some energy for 2 hours, we headed back to our room to start getting ready for our first formal night. We love getting dressed up since we never get to wear formal gowns back home. I helped the girls do their hair, saving Olivia and Ava for last. As we walked to the MDR, the kids got lots of comments on how great they looked.

Notice Olivia's little purse on her shoulder, ha!

Our headwaiter Dario cutting Olivia's food for her!

During this meal, we finally met our head waiter (each table has a head waiter, waiter and assistant waiter). He is a very personable guy from Croatia and spent a lot of time talking to the kids. Usually the head waiter just makes a stop by the table to check in but he went out of his way to serve us personally!

Olivia giving her ketchup smiley face a thumbs up!

               In fact, he drew a smiley face with ketchup on a plate to go along with Olivia’s food that he also cut up for her! This time when it came time to hand out dessert menus, the waiter automatically gave Olivia one! Ha I had buttered, garlic scallops for my appetizer and a yummy salad topped with grilled salmon for my entrée.

              After dinner, Kevin, Olivia and I headed out to the promenade which is a 3 story, open area that spans a good length of the middle of the ship on deck 5. There are shops, lounges and a little café in this area. Tonight was the captain's welcome speech. For a brief time, they hand out free champagne and you have a chance to get your photo taken with the captain.

Olivia & I talking to the captain

            The older kids had taken Ava back to the room as they wanted to change to get ready to head to clubs. Olivia was such a hoot walking around, all dolled up carrying her little purse. In fact, we got stopped by an older British couple who asked to take her photo. She and I also had our photo taken with the captain.

             By this time it was around 8pm and we headed back to our room. The girls left for clubs and I went and got my nightly snack of sushi to bring back to the room, ha! Erik attempted to go to his club again tonight but there were only 2 younger girls there. Normally when there are a few more kids, the clubs are a lot of fun but it’s hard for the staff to do many activities with hardly any kids there. Tomorrow we will inquire to see if he can be bumped up to the teen club because of this.

All photos can be clicked on to enlarge. The photos I am sharing are a combination of ones I took as well as my kids and husband on a variety of cameras and iPhones, hence the varying quality.

No comments

I enjoy hearing from each & every one of you! Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)